(Left to right) – Sam Cunningham, Materials Testing Account Manager, Skills Training UK Joe Fife, Apprentice, Joe Irvine, Apprentice, Adam Swain, Apprentice, Marty Barnes, Apprentice, Stephen Hankinson, Group Chairman of the Hanksinson Group.
Photo credit: The Skills Training UK
Industrial Coatings Applicator in action
Photo credit: Hankinson Group
Award winning Apprenticeships provider Skills Training UK has launched a new Industrial Coatings standard for the materials testing sector to tackle a growing industry demand.
The Level 2 Industrial Coatings Applicator standard has been developed by employers for coatings applicators involved with preparing the surface of new or existing steel structures and involved with applying the correct protection coatings.
Based in Wirral, Levy paying employer The Hankinson Group was a significant participant in the trailblazer group that helped set the new Apprenticeship Standard and has already enrolled four employees on the Industrial Coatings Applicator programme.
Stephen Hankinson, Group Chairman of the Hankinson Group, said; “There is an urgent need to get apprentices into our sector to meet the demands of forthcoming infrastructure projects, particularly across road, construction, energy and other key STEM industries. Having highly skilled Industrial painters available and delivering quality work helps reduce whole life cost of assets and reduces risk due to asset failure.”
“Prior to the launch of this apprenticeship there was no way to encourage new entrants into the sector so this is a major step forward. We are delighted to be taking on four industrial painting apprentices and to be working with Skills Training UK and their innovative delivery model.”
Adam Swain, aged 24 from Wirral, Level 2 Coatings Applicator Apprentice at The Hankinson Group, said; “The Apprenticeship is a great opportunity for me to gain an industry recognised qualification as a competent Industrial Coatings Applicator which will be hugely beneficial to my career.”
Sam Cunningham, Materials Testing Account Manager at Skills Training UK, said; “With a growing need for competent Industrial Coatings Applicators, we are pleased to offer the new Apprenticeships standard for employers who are looking to develop their staff with relevant industry qualifications. We look forward to helping to grow the next generation of competent industrial painters.”
Partnering with industrial coatings specialists ‘Train the Painter’, training modules will be delivered through a combination of on-site visits, classroom workshops and online learning modules. Skills Training UK will offer employers guidance on Apprenticeship Levy funding and recruitment, while specialist trainer assessors will visit apprentices monthly to deliver functional skills and 1-2-1 support.
Lucy Pavia, Operations Manager at Train the Painter and the Corrodere Academy, said; “As an internationally accredited coating applicator training provider, we are delighted to be working with Skills Training UK to launch this new Apprenticeship standard and to deliver innovative training to employees within the sector.”
Skills Training UK is one of the UK’s leading independent training providers with a proven track record of working in partnership with employers in STEM sectors to utilise their Apprenticeship Levy and design and deliver Apprenticeships in Non-Destructive Testing, Business Improvement Techniques (BIT) and Business Skills and Digital Marketing.
In 2019 it was named ‘Training Provider of the Year’ by the TES FE Awards, and was described by judges as an exemplar of how to be successful as an ‘employer-responsive, individual focused, innovative’ training provider.
To find out more about the Industrial Coatings Applicator Apprenticeship, visit https://www.skillstraininguk.com/materials-testing
About Skills Training UK
- Skills Training UK is a leading independent training provider at the forefront of thinking and policy in skills, education and employability.
- Skills Training UK has a proven track record of partnering with employers to design and deliver bespoke Apprenticeships to improve productivity and business performance.
- Skills Training UK offers a variety of Apprenticeship Standards in areas including Business Skills, Quality and Improvement, Leadership and Management, Materials Testing, IT and Digital and Supply Chain.
- In 2017 Skills Training UK launched a dedicated consultancy service for clients that pay the Apprenticeship Levy.
- Skills Training UK is a Prime Contractor to the Education and Skills Funding Agency and was rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted at its most recent inspections in 2017.
- Skills Training UK offers three vocational routes for young people: Level 2 Technical Certificates (Study Programmes), Traineeships and Apprenticeships. We are also a Prime Contractor for the European Social Fund (ESF), delivering high-performing skills and employability contracts through local supply chains.
- Skills Training UK won the Training Provider of the Year Award at the 2019 Times Educational Supplement (Tes) FE Awards
- Martin Dunford OBE, Chief Executive, Skills Training UK, and Chairman, AELP, won the Lifetime Achievement Award and Skills Training UK won the Outstanding Contribution to the Development of Apprenticeships (Provider) Award at the 2019 FE Week and Association of Employment and Learning Providers (AELP) Annual Apprenticeship Conference (AAC) Apprenticeship Awards.
- Skills Training UK was a national finalist in the Training Partner of the Year category at the 2019 SEMTA Skills Awards (also shortlisted in 2017).
- Skills Training UK Head Office is at Hygeia House, 3rd Floor, 66 College Road, Harrow, HA1 1BE